Creative Edinburgh is looking for a new Chair to lead our Board of Directors. The Chair works in tandem with the Executive Director and the Executive Team to drive the strategic vision of the organisation while ensuring the continued success of the Board of Directors in helping Creative Edinburgh meet its strategic goals.
The Chair leads the Board of Directors to meet their governance responsibilities, ensuring that all decisions meet legal and regulatory requirements and ensures that the voice and experience of all Board members are heard and used to support effective Board decision-making.
About Creative Edinburgh
Creative Edinburgh is a social enterprise, and our main objective is to protect the welfare of the creative community through services for creative freelancers, sole traders and startups in order to allow them to develop and thrive. Creative Edinburgh aims to raise the profile of the creative industries across Edinburgh, encourage collaboration among creative practitioners, and support their professional journeys in business, education, training, communication, and entertainment.
This is delivered through our wide-ranging events and training programmes; we strive to promote the City of Edinburgh as a centre of creative and cultural excellence.
We want Edinburgh to be a city that attracts creative people to contribute to its success, and where they feel included, connected, inspired and supported, regardless of their background. Creatives in the city will thrive throughout their journey and their contributions will be seen and valued. They will be able to develop more sustainable creative practices and businesses and feel part of a strong community.
Creative Edinburgh brings together creative thinkers and makers across the city. Through events, career development and advocacy, we support the city’s creative community, providing an inclusive space for collaboration and connection at every stage of their career. By amplifying and celebrating the success of local creative endeavours, we shape the creative legacy of the city by connecting its people, projects and places.
The Role of Chair - Main Responsibilities
The chair is responsible for organising and chairing the regular Board meetings and along with the rest of the Board members, supporting the operation and good governance of Creative Edinburgh.
This includes activities such as
- Provide support and guidance to the Executive Director and Creative Edinburgh team.
- Partake in regular strategic reviews of the organisation and ensure the effective management of Creative Edinburgh.
- Address any Board-level conflict and enable a positive and productive operating environment.
- Participate in the recruitment of Board members and senior staff when required.
- Undertake grievance and appeal procedures when necessary.
- Keep the organisation’s best interests at heart, always acting impartially and without bias towards any individual or group.
- Effectively communicate the vision, mission and values of Creative Edinburgh in different settings and to various stakeholders..
- Act as a sounding board to the Executive Director, allowing the Executive Team to grow and help implement their decisions in the organisation’s best interests.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to Executive Director when needed.
Person Specification | Essential Experience and Knowledge
- Experience in holding a Board position.
- An understanding of the role of Chair (and experience if possible).
- Strong knowledge of corporate governance, business management and fundraising.
- Knowledge of and experience in strategic planning and financial management/ reporting.
- Excellent networking skills and experience building effective relationships with stakeholders.
- Evidence of strong and creative leadership in the arts/culture/creative sectors.
- A track record of engagement with public, private and third sectors.
Person Specification | Desired Skills
- An inspiring leader with strong ethical values and a keen interest to help the organisation stand by their values, mission and vision.
- Creative problem solver.
- A genuine champion/promoter of the creative industries and independent creative practitioners.
- An empathetic, inclusive leader with a hands-on, dynamic manner.
- A strong advocate for Creative Edinburgh’s work and legacy.
Salary: Unremunerated (reasonable expenses will be paid). This is a voluntary position which will enable the successful candidate to engage with key stakeholders at a national governmental and public sector level, as well as city-wide across all creative sub-sectors. It offers the chance to directly participate in the creative future of Edinburgh - and Scotland - and give back to the creative community.
Time commitment: Approximately one hour per fortnight to meet with the Executive Director and additional hours for Board meetings and support as required.
Working with: Executive Director and other Board members.
Location: Hybrid (remote and in-person meetings at CodeBase and various locations across Edinburgh).
Start date: March 2023 to allow for a handover with the outgoing Chair.
Applications should be submitted by email in the form of a cover letter (maximum one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadlines for applications: Friday 10th February 2023, 17:00
Interviews: Week commencing 20th February 2023.
If you would like to know more about the role, please email email@example.com